Australia's Unique Cuban Culture and Spirit Festival... by the sea!
Afrekete is a community organisation that promotes authentic Cuban culture in Australia via Cuban Dance, Music & Art
We do this through our annual events as well as workshops leading up to the main events.
Afrekete comes from the word for the Ocean Mother energy of the Arara Tradition originally from Dahomey region in present-day Benin and came to Cuba with the slaves.
It is also the name of our annual Afro-Cuban Roots Festival by the Sea on the Gold Coast, featuring authentic Cuban dance, music and culture experts!
Come and share this special gathering with us, and co-create an energetic centre to connect to the roots of this sacred ancestry, and experience a real piece of Cuba in Australia!
We always start with an Official Opening Ceremony with cultural exchange from local Indigenous Elders and our Afro-Cuban team performing ceremonious drumming and dance, then continue over a whole weekend of dance and music workshops and performances by our Cuban dance and music maestros. Feel the heartbeat of Cuba and let the rhythm move you…
Wednesday 26th to Sunday 30th January 2022
414 Coolangatta Rd, Tugun, Gold Coast QLD
Afrekete 2022 is operating in compliance with a COVID Safe Event Plan
Afrekete Festival has been the proud recipient of
- Queensland Government’s Celebrate Multicultural Queensland Multicultural Events Grants in 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Recipient of City of Gold Coast Community Events Grant Program 2021
- Supported and Auspiced by the Gold Coast Multicultural Communities Council. for 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Supported and Auspiced by the Cultural Association of Cuban Heritage & Roots for 2021 and 2022
Afrekete has also been previously supported by
- City of Yarra Small Projects Grant in 2019
- Coffs Harbour City Council Small Grants Funding 2014-2017
- NSW’s Regional Arts CASP Funding 2015 and 2017
- Auspiced by Coffs Harbour Arts Council Inc
Afrekete acknowledges all Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the traditional owners of the lands we live and work on.